Manager VIB Nucleomics Core
VIB is a non-profit research institute in life sciences. About 1,300 scientists conduct strategic basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Through a close partnership with four Flemish universities − UGent, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, and Vrije Universiteit Brussel − and a solid funding program, VIB unites the forces of 83 research groups in a single institute. The goal of the research is to extend the boundaries of our knowledge of life. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB translates research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients and contributes to new economic activity. VIB develops and disseminates a wide range of scientifically substantiated information about all aspects of biotechnology. More information: www.vib.be
In order to provide research groups with early and expert access to state-of-the-art technologies, VIB has incepted a number of Core Facilities, of which VIB Nucleomics Core is one. VIB Nucleomics Core, based in Leuven (Belgium), provides an assortment of fee-based services to address biological questions in the transcriptomics and genomics fields. Our user base consists of both VIB and non-VIB scientists throughout Europe. Key applications are gene expression analysis using Next Generation RNA sequencing and microarray technology, whole genome sequencing, amplicon sequencing, ChIP-seq, RIP-seq, genome mapping, and more. Illumina sequencing, Affymetrix microarrays, Nanostring nCounter, and BioNanoGenomics Irys platforms are the main platforms that are being used to facilitate these types of experiments. Bioinformatics services are an integral part of the Nucleomics Core service package. As the current manager will soon take another challenge, the position to lead the core facility has become vacant. More info on: www.nucleomics.be
- Daily management of the facility – setting priorities among the different tasks
- Supervision of experimental design, data analysis and data storage, including troubleshooting
- Scouting of and getting access to novel transcriptomic and genomic platforms and bioinformatics tools
- Implementation of newly acquired technologies in the field of transcriptomics and genomics as well as bioinformatics tools
- Managing relations with and provide services to VIB Nucleomics Core users
- Promoting and creating external visibility of the facility
- PhD in molecular biology with ample experience and proven track record in the transcriptomics, genomics and/or bioinformatics field(s)
- High sense of responsibility, autonomy and service-orientation
- Effective people management and overall managerial skills – proven track record of experience in team management is a plus
- Business, commercial, negotiation and budgeting acumen
- Outstanding communication skills both internally and externally – mandatory fluent level of English
- Working knowledge of common bioinformatics tools and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
How to apply?
Application deadline is February 15th, 2015.
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online via the link: http://www.vib.be/en/jobs/Pages/Apply.aspx?JobId=483
Please do not forget to mention the contact details of two references in the appropriate field.